Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that is often called “asbestos cancer” since asbestos exposure is typically the cause of it. Though there is treatment available for mesothelioma, there is no cure. Often, when someone is diagnosed with mesothelioma, they do not have much time left to live.
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be seeking more information. Here are some facts about mesothelioma:
- Mesothelioma attacks the lining of various organs of the body such as the lungs.
- More than 90% of mesothelioma cases are directly linked to asbestos exposure.
- When handled improperly, asbestos can enter the lungs or stomach, and once inside, the body is unable to break down asbestos fibers.
- Asbestos fibers lodged in the mesothelium eventually cause its cells to divide without control or order.
- Symptoms of mesothelioma can take 10-50 years to show up after asbestos exposure.
- Common symptoms of mesothelioma include shortness of breath and a lingering cough.
- Since mesothelioma is so often caused by asbestos exposure, victims and their families may be entitled to compensation for their suffering.
Speaking to an experienced mesothelioma lawyer can help you decide what steps to take next. Make sure the lawyer you hire has experience handling similar cases. Ask friends or family members for a referral, as positive word-of-mouth can lead you to a great lawyer who will fight for the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering.
For more information about mesothelioma, speak to a resource person by calling 1-888-370-0121.